Well it’s that time of year again! Summer, this means our nations capital is going to be hot, humid and filled with tourists. It’s not a problem, but here are some guidelines for you tourists types planning to venture to D.C. this summer.
1) Avoid the metro between 8-9:30am, people are trying to get to work and you will get in their way. (I’m not trying to be mean, it’s the truth).
2) Follow escalator etiquette: stand to the right, walk to the left.
3) Wear comfortable shoes. D.C. is a small city, but does require a lot of walking.
4) You don’t have to walk everywhere. Biking is very popular in The District, just make sure you follow bike rules and regulations. Hint: use bike lanes, and try not to run anyone over.
5) Take advantage of the free museums!
6) EAT! There are so many great restaurants, coffee shops, cupcakeries and lovely eateries that you should try a variety of food while you’re in town.
7) Don’t stop in the middle of the sidewalk.
8) Do get drunk and be merry! The locals frequent happy hours and usually continue drinking into the night. Mostly because everyone works crazy hours and high stress jobs. So join the revelry!
9) Please keep our city clean, that goes along with following some of our simple rules, like not eating or drinking on the metro. As I said in #8, we all have high stress jobs, which means we are mostly type-A personalities, so we like our city clean.
10) See number #6 and #8.